Saturday, July 12, 2008

Recipe: Homemade Tortillas


I think people tend to be nervous to try things like this, so I decided to post some pictures to show that you don't have to know how to roll perfectly round tortillas to enjoy this recipe. As you can see, mine come out in unpredictable shapes, but are oh so yummy! When they're warm off the griddle, me and the kids like to eat them plain. (Brian is a total guy and only eats them with meat, of course. Our new favorite filling is Mexican Love.)

Homemade Tortillas

4 1/2 cups flour*
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups water

*Note: The way I measure flour is to tap the top of the measuring cup (a lot) to get out any bubbles and settle it, before leveling off. I know some do the "lightly scoop" thing, so I thought I'd better clarify.


1. Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix. You may have to do the final mixing with your hands.

2. Cover dough with a wet towel and let rest for 20 minutes. (This is optional and I skip it half the time.)
3. Pinch balls of dough through your first finger and thumb, and roll out on a lightly floured surface. I've seen some ladies from Mexico do this and I was AMAZED at their technique. They were fast and their tortillas thin and perfectly round. I tried, but just could not match it. Fortunately for me, an odd shaped tortilla tastes just as good! :)

4. Place on a griddle on medium-low to medium heat. Heat just until light brown spots appear, then flip and repeat on other side. This takes 20-60 seconds each side, depending on how high you have your heat.

When you heat the first side, little bubbles like this are normal. You don't have to do anything:


If you get big bubbles like this, they should be popped:




Nice, golden brown:



This is a fun treat and less fattening than Indian Fry Bread (which I'll try to remember to post someday).

4 comments:

mad white woman said...

Compared to my tortillas I've made, those are perfect circles. :) The last time I made tortillas, we played "Name that continent".

Jodi said...

Mmmmm. That looks yummy. Fortunately for me, we like "odd" around here. We'll go for the oddly shaped ones, too.

Deb said...

I know what we're having for dinner next week. I'll be brave and give homemade tortillas a shot.

Cook Family said...

Ahh, they look so good. My mouth is watering! Did I tell you about the tortilla maker I found? Just use your favorite recipe, put a globby ball in the middle, press the cover down, and wala in 10 seconds you have a perfectly round and fully cooked tortilla! It is great if you make them all the time.