Friday, October 3, 2008

Creatures, Beetles, and Boys, Oh My!

Between Julie's post about pink bows and shoelaces for the girls' soccer team, and Amy's post about sisters (including the clip for a song I've never even heard before) I thought I'd share what
my life is like.

One morning, John discovers a beetle on the back patio. It's on it's back, little legs flailing. Does John scream or come running to me that there's a bug? No, he does what any little boy would logically do. He grabs a piece of chalk and draws a circle around it.

Then he notices another beetle (I have no idea where these things came from) likewise on it's back, and he draws a circle around that one. He writes the word "one" next to the first circle, and "two" next to the other circle.



(These pictures were taken after the beetles were long gone.)


This sets off a coloring spree on my back patio. All three boys were happily drawing pictures and writing words, completely unpeturbed by the gross beetles in their midst. In fact, they drew a picture of a beetle:


Chris drew a picture of a "creature."


This is a favorite pasttime of his lately. He has a notebook filled with more than a dozen different drawings of creatures. For each, it is apparently my motherly duty to assure him that these creatures are "awesome" and "freaky."


You can tell this kid has older brothers. When John was his age, it was all Sesame Street and Clifford, play-doh and Little People castles. Not so for the younger brother of a nine-year-old. Ah well.

In school, Christopher's class had to draw a picture of an animal. The teacher then wrote underneath it the word for what they drew, and posted these on the bulletin board outside the classroom door.

I see why she labeled them, because with kids this young sometimes you can tell that's a picture of a "fish" but other times, you'd never know you were looking at a "lion."

There were lots of fish, dogs, rainbows, etc. There were two drawings of "Transformers" and I'd wager a guess that those artists have older brothers as well. But I'd say Chris had them all beat in the "I'm a BOY" department. What was the label underneath his picture?

"Creature with many arms."

And nary a pink bow to be found.

7 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Oh BELIEVE me, no pink bows here either! :(

That's too funny, we have millions of notebooks filled with creatures too!

Julie said...

I'm laughing so hard!!!! That's funny!!! You may have to post the picture of "creature with many arms" when the paper makes it way home. Yes, my children don't know transformers, star wars, etc. Riley barely figured out Spiderman. And bugs. . . I can gaurentee you there would have been no chalking around dead beetles!! We are still working on not being scared of flies! Oh to have a boy. . . . :)

Kimmy said...

Definately awesome and freaky pictures!
I always find it comical watching my boys(well Ben isnt there yet) find the dirt, rocks and sticks, or the trucks, cars, planes, or the bugs, lizards, and frogs to be the coolest things ever, while my Kylie is noticing the flowers, the sunsets, the butterflies, and recoils in disgust at the things my boys are facisnated with. So different boys and girls are.

mad white woman said...

I think John may be destined for a career as a homicide detective. Ha!

Christopher's good at drawing creatures, they look just as nasty as the one that was in our house.

Sarah S. Foote said...

Your boys have grown SO MUCH since I last saw you all WOW! Your family looks great! And your boys are a lot of fun. I'm so happy I found your blog.
http://footeprint.blogspot.com/

Cook Family said...

What great pictures...they are freaky and so scary :). I am sure Chris is the "cool" one in the classroom to have such fun and cool older brothers. So, I don't know about this all being a boy thing...Jenna loves to get dirty too, but at the same time she is holding her baby doll!! I guess we'll see how she reacts to those fun bugs when she gets older, but as of now they are food along with EVERYTHING else she can find.

Jodi said...

Ha ha ha! Whenever there is a bug anywhere at my house, my girls come screeching into my room (or wherever I am) to demand that I go squish it and take it away. And then they have to actually witness me disposing of it before they can happily go on their way with their frilly pink bows and all. There would definitely be no chalking around it at our house. That's hilarious!