Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Another Way to Waste Time on the Internet

Google Maps has reached a whole new level of creepy. I went for a walk with a friend yesterday, and since it was a new route, I wasn't sure how many miles we'd gone. To figure it out, I googled our address.


What do you think I should see when the map pops up? A picture of my house. Not a satelite picture from space. Oh no. This was a picture taken from the ground.

My mouth dropped open. It stayed open while I clicked the buttons to do a complete 360 of the area and watched as my neighbors' houses all came up on screen. These pictures are recent too, because our van is parked in the driveway. We haven't even had that van for a year yet.

It's very weird.

So I took a little virtual tour of my own neighborhood, seeing the occasional shadow on the ground... the shadow of a car with some sort of aerial-looking device strapped to the top. The camera.

Bizarre. And creepy.

What's the reason for this technology? Why would anyone think we'd need anything like...


Oh wait...


Do you think I can do this in Italy????


Okay, I'm off!

4 comments:

Jodi said...

That is kinda creepy. I'm not so sure I like the idea of someone doing virtual 3D type pictures of my house. I'm gonna have to try that.

Bevell Family said...

Italy!! Yes... that might be fun to do together... And we can do it via gotomeeting.com where we all can be at our own homes viewing the same screen... Wanna take a trip? Hee Hee.

And yes.. It is creepy...plus...who is paying for this so called service?

Smiles,
Sean A'lee

mad white woman said...

Jason is obsessed with Google maps and has wasted plenty of time looking to see which locations are and are not updated. They started it a bit ago and it just keeps getting more intense and more places are up there. A little creepy, but there's a lot of information you can find out about someone through public records. Tell Sean A'lee the government is paying for it so they can spy on all of us. LOL.

Julie said...

That makes me kind of sick. There are too many weirdos that don't need all that info.