Thursday, April 16, 2009

100 Days of Gratitude: Day 25

I love, love, love old family photos. I have a good handful of very old photos in my possession, and I just love them. (Did I say that already?)

There are only a few that I already happened to have scanned into my computer which I haven't already posted elsewhere, and I'm too lazy today to do more, but you get the idea...

This is my great grandma (my Dad's paternal grandmother) otherwise known as Grandma G. This was taken when she was about 19 or so. For the longest time, I thought her name was Gee (like my friend's Aunt Dee), until I was told that Grandma G was the nickname my brother gave her when he was little and that her real name was Mabel. Mabel? I thought. Then I loved the name Mabel. :) She was a wonderful person and I still miss her dearly.


This is my dad's mother, Nadine. She was a petite little thing, always a lady but completely lacking in pretension. She had a great laugh. Whether you were a politician, an astronaut (she rubbed shoulders with both) or a waiter, she treated you the same: with genuine kindness and respect. I miss her too.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Don't you think everyone looks beautiful in old photographs? Why is that? These days you can't say everyone looks good in their senior pictures. But everyone really does look good in old photos.

Anonymous said...

I adore old photo's. My imagination just runs wild as I try to picture them in their lives.