I had an insight the other day. (Okay, it was a few weeks ago, I'm behind, but still...) I realized that something interesting happens when I'm experiencing something and simultaneously planning the blog I'll write about it. Taking pictures for the blog and making mental notes about what I should talk about tends to remove me from the experience.
Take, for example, our family's excursion to the Moon Festival.
It was a really cool event, but what I remember the most is taking pictures and videos. I remember other things too, and there was plenty of times when I wasn't taking pictures of course. But still. My mind was in blogging mode. And there's a strange disconnect that goes along with that.
I left the festival feeling a little disappointed. I wished I could go back in time and experience it more fully.
The following week we went to the zoo. I deliberately left my camera in my bag. I took one picture during the break at the water park. That was it. It was nice. I have good memories of that day.

I'm not saying I won't be blogging anymore. (Obviously!!!) I just think I need to be careful. There are things I want to write about, for sure. But more than that, there are things I want to live. I need to make sure the one doesn't interfere with the other.
6 comments:
I totally agree. Sometimes I feel like I'm so wrapped up in writing a future blog or taking pictures that I miss experiencing the event. I also hate fiddling with the camera and seeing what's going on through the lens of a camera.
Disconnected, is exactly the right word.
It's hard for me to find a balance. I love to take pictures of every second of an event purely just to have that memory, not necessarly to blog about it, but it does bug me how much thought and time goes into taking pictures.
It's a good idea to limit pictures at an event and then call it good and just enjoy yourself.
Ummm. . . that sounds good except I totally love your blog! I understand having the right balance. That's a great reminder. Sometime I'm mad because I leave my camera behind but in the end I don't really miss it at all.
(Just don't leave us completely!)
I do have another thought. . . I think sometimes I do get too caught up in picture taking for the blog but I also know there have been some "normal, everyday" things that I've photographed and blogged about that I wouldn't have normally. When I look back in my archives I'm so glad I have those simple, seemingly less important posts. i guess I'm just sharing this to give you a positive aspect. . . if it keeps you blogging. :)
That festival sounds really cool. But sorry that you felt disconnected...
I have no words of wisdom to share... ;)
But I think you are great.
This is a hard one for me because I feel like if I don't take a picture, I won't remember it anyway. But, there have been several times that I will take a few pictures during an activity and then just retire the camera for a bit and enjoy. Fine line, for sure.
Post a Comment